Today I want to give you a place to start your week. It’s Monday and in the wake of a great weekend and a workweek ahead, sometimes you just need a “kickstart” to get focused. So grab some coffee let’s start a great week together.
Yesterday we kicked off our new series “The Collective” at Kfirst. We are taking a few weeks to cast vision for a shift in our church community. We are desiring to move from “Membership” to “Partnership.”
We are using Paul’s letter to Philemon to help be the launch point as Paul uses the word, Koinonia twice to emphasis his heart for for the church (v. 6 & v.17). This wonderful Greek word means
- fellowship, a collection, community, communion, joint participation, a proof of fellowship
- Of business: it was a partnering or merging
- Of the Church: it was sharing issues, sharing the load
This is the heart of the shift. We want to see ourselves as partnering (Koinonia) with God and each other to further His Kingdom.
As we launched out, we settled in Zechariah 4:1-9 as we looked at the commitments to a healthy church. The four commitments are:
- I will wake up to reality of what needs to be built. V. 1
- We see don’t ignore the mess, we view it was an opportunity for God to move.
- I will seek God, not my preferences. V. 6
- It’s all about seeking His presence before our preference.
- I will believe God can overcome all obstacles. V. 7
- Obstacles are opportunities for God to perform miracles.
- I will work until completion. V. 9
- What we do is position our church to move forward into what makes Jesus shine best.
We desire to build a unified church. Because if we partner together, we’ll be a better example of Christ to the world around us.
This week, how can you partner with what God would like to do in your sphere of influence? First, spend some time in prayer and see how the Holy Spirit would challenge you to reach out. Ask God to reveal some ways you can be bold with your witness. Second, spend time in prayer praying over your church community. Ask the Holy Spirit to bring all of us boldness in love as we, together, shine our light to the greater Kalamazoo area.
Love you all. Praying for you this week.
Leave a Reply