Today I want to give you a place to start your week. It’s Monday and in the wake of a great weekend and a workweek ahead, sometimes you just need a “kickstart” to get focused. So grab some coffee let’s start a great week together.
Our current series is highlighting the shift in our giving in our Kfirst community. We continued the series with our focus upon Jesus “Sermon on the Plain” in Luke 6. (Click here for yesterday’s notes.)
Jesus taught us, out of this amazing sermon in Luke 6, one of the biggest keys to being a Kingdom Builder: Having a mind of a giver. Giving is not just about money; giving is about mentality. And if we have a mind that understands what we’ve been blessed with by God, it makes us desire to be generous with everything.
We’ve got one of two choices. We can be a reservoir or a river.
- A reservoir – Collects and goes nowhere.
- A river – Receives from one body and flow into others.
Spend some time this week digesting Luke 6 line by line and watch how Jesus wants to develop the mind of giving in you. He will challenge you to:
- Love your enemies
- Do good to those who hate you.
- Bless those who curse you.
- Pray for those who abuse you.
- Give beyond what people ask.
- Don’t demand things back.
- Give without reciprocation.
- Show mercy to those who need it.
- Don’t be stingy out of your judgements.
God wants to do more than fill us with His presence, He wants our lives overflow out of what he’s given us. That “overflow” is what God will use to build the Kingdom around you. And through “overflowing” lives:
- Strangers become family when we give kindness.
- Enemies become friends when we give forgiveness.
- Takers become givers when we give possessions.
- Hoarders become healers when we give financially.
- Hurters become helpers when we give mercy.
- Live by design and not default. You were made in the image of God and, therefore, have been designed to be a giver. But out of our flesh, we seem to resort to a selfish default. Choose to be a giver.
- Giving hands facilitate Kingdom growth. The tighter you hold onto what you have, the less room you have to hold and give. The minute I open up my hand, I have opportunity to receive AND overflow.
Proverbs 11:24-26 “The world of the generous gets larger and larger; the world of the stingy gets smaller and smaller.25 The one who blesses others is abundantly blessed; those who help others are helped. 26 Curses on those who drive a hard bargain! Blessings on all who play fair and square!”
This week, let your world get larger and larger by having the mind of a giver. Look for opportunities to live as a reflection of Christ and be that giver in the places where God has placed you. Be a river…and let your life be the overflow of His generosity.
Love you all. We’ll see you next week as we continue week 3 of Kingdom Builders.
BTW: Here’s a song for your worship playlist:
Leave a Reply