What a great day! We have been journeying through 1 Corinthians on Sunday at Kfirst and came to a message called “Slave to My Whims” today. Paul, in 1 Corinthians 6:12 writes a warning to the church in Corinth to help navigate through issues of sin and Christian freedom:
Just because something is technically legal doesn’t mean that it’s spiritually appropriate. If I went around doing whatever I thought I could get by with, I’d be a slave to my whims.
I’ve been asked to post a few of the notes INCLUDING the four questions to ask yourself when navigating through decisions of conduct. So here are some of the thoughts from today along with the questions:
- One of the greatest symbols of the grace of God is not something we hang on a wall but Jesus displayed in a life.
- The Human conscience, like a COMPASS, is a sensitive instrument, and can easily malfunction.
- It can get trapped in magnetic fields that pull it off course. (WHIMS)
- It can allow itself to be PULLED in a particular DIRECTION.
- You need a TRUE NORTH.
- This is where the Corinth church is at:
- Paul says, make sure whatever activity/subject/decision, it starts in submission to the Lordship of Jesus.
- They need a TRUE NORTH to navigate through the questions of sin and freedom in Christ.
- Paul is determined: don’t be a slave to your whims…Jesus is YOUR TRUE NORTH
When it comes to SIN and MY FREEDOM, there are 4 QUESTIONS to ask:
- What does the bible say about this?
- We must be careful to NOT simply go with our GUT/WHIMS without if we haven’t CHECKED it against biblical truth.
- Where the bible has clearly spoken…God has clearly spoken
- Stepping outside of the boundaries of God’s wise commands never will lead you anywhere good.
- You need to know the difference between the “Gospel according to the Jesus” and the “Gospel according to YOU”
- What does the Holy Spirit tell you about your freedom?
- Christian freedom is not freedom to do what you like, but freedom from all the things that stop you being the person God really wants you to be.
- BUT NOTE: Submission to Christ can lead you away from things that are not an issues of sin but of Lordship.
- 2 Thoughts:
- My personal preference is not an absolute truth
- My opinion doesn’t have to be a point of division.
- On matters of freedom in Christ…remember:
- Just because I CAN doesn’t mean I SHOULD
- Just because YOU CAN’T doesn’t mean I CAN’T
- Just because I CAN’T doesn’t mean that YOU CAN’T
- Just because YOU CAN doesn’t mean I CAN
- What does Godly counsel say?
- Chapter 9: Paul shares from his own viewpoint and experience
- If the scripture doesn’t seem quite clean and I’m seeking direction from the Holy Spirit, I’ll seek out CLEAR a wiser person.
- Those who have been there…further down the road
- What is the wise thing to do?
- In light of my PAST experiences, my CURRENT circumstances, and my FUTURE hopes and dreams, what is the wise thing to do?
- In light of my AFFECT upon people…
- Marriage, kids, co-workers…
- In light of my TESTIMONY…
- There are things where freedom MAY allow but wisdom DOES NOT…
- Jesus didn’t come to get RID of the culture; he came to REDEEM it.
- He did it by CONFRONTING the CULTURE with the KINGDOM
- It was his REDEMPTIVE RESPONSE
- Christ-followers should INFLUENCE a broken culture not in REJECTION…we walk in a REDEMPTIVE RESPONSE
- We have lives that are not driven by our whims but have Christ as the “True North”
- It’s not about me living in PERMISSION in this life; it’s about me living in SUBMISSION.
“Jesus, lead me in the life that is completely submitted to you.”
Thanks for letting me ramble…